GASTRONOMY: SPANISH VS GLOBAL PERSPECTIVES
GASTRONOMY - THE GLOBAL TOURISM AMBASSADOR
- The European cuisine in a circle of constant reinvention: an introduction to the very first restaurant, nouvelle cuisine, fusion cooking and haute cuisine.
- Spain goes international - exporting top cooks and Spanish delicacies.
- The impact of enogastronomic tourism.
- The wine industry in Spain.
- Introduction to wine tasting.
- Wine tasting of single-varietal Spanish wines.
TRADITIONAL SPANISH GASTRONOMY
- Introduction: The catering sector in Spain, segments of the market structure with a focus on the catering market.
- The variety of the Spanish cuisine, traditional dishes, and quality products from each autonomous community.
TECHNICAL APPLICATIONS AND INNOVATIVE CULINARY TECHNOLOGIES
- The evolution of consumer tastes.
- Spanish avant-garde cuisine: textures, liquid nitrogen, froths and foams.
- Fusion of cuisines from around world applied to haute cuisine.
- The impact of ecological products in cooking: their culinary application.
- Vegetarian and Vegan Gastronomy: ingredients and nutrition.
- Food intolerances and allergies: creative alternatives.
- Super Foods, Health & Nutrition.
AVANT-GARDE PASTRY WORKSHOP
- Classical elaborations and new trends in contemporary pastry.
- Developments in consumer tastes.
- Raw materials and basic products.
- New pastry ingredients: vegetables, herbs, spices, flowers.
- Principal elaborations.
- Structure and decoration of pastries.
The learning methodology applied in this course consists of several key elements that allow achieving the above mentioned objectives simultaneously. The methodology is defined as follows:
- In-class lectures that transfer basic and specific knowledge. Class participation is crucial in order for students to acquire the necessary knowledge and skills targeted in the program.
- Case Studies reflect the content so as to help the student put into practice the theoretic contents.
- Complementary activities such as visits that support the students in further understanding and implementing the contents provided by the program. In case of four week modality program: During an optional extra week students will have to develop a Final Project working in small groups where their skills of self-management, responsibility, leadership and teamwork will be reinforced and practical knowledge gained through in depth, methodical study of the chosen topic. During this process students will be guided by tutors and will have to present and defend the project on the last day of the course.
The evaluation of the program will be conducted by reviewing the students’ work and participation during the program. The participants are evaluated on a constant basis during the lectures and through the practical cases to be developed and defended.
In case of 3 week modality program:
The continued evaluation stands for 60% while the final test evaluation for 40% of the general mark of the program.
Attendance is mandatory.
In case of 4 week modality program:
The continued evaluation will stand for 40%, the final test evaluation for 20% and the mark for the Project Presentation for 40% of the general mark of the program.
Attendance is mandatory.