As modern pace of life accelerates, the society of the 21st century recovers a Roman motto “mens sana in corpora sano”. The awareness about the importance of doing sports is growing, acting as a powerful driver for one of the most prolific and dynamic industries, which involves, as follows; organization of sports events, sports club management, facilities profitability, tourism destination development, design of mixed activities, co-products creation, etc. Due to its diverse, quickly-changing nature sports industry gives endless opportunities for business.
This program’s main objective is the student’s introduction into the industry of sports from a business management point of view.
Area of Study: Sports Management, Sports Business, Organization of Sports Events.
- Observe how sport in a daily routine affects social, cultural and personal dimensions.
- Identify subcultures and subgroups developed around different sports such as track and field, soccer, cycling and gym, etc.
- Analyze how socio cultural trends affect and even generate new sports activities.
- Discover what sports organizations exist, both nationally and internationally, their typology and functioning.
- Acquire a general idea of sports organization functions and get to know the competitive area of sports industry.
- Analize the phenomenon of the Olympic Games, motor sports and other internationally reknowned competitions: identify their profitability and beneficial effect for a country or a city.
- Identify different models used in the management of the facilities after a massive event and learn how to optimize the profitability of sports facilities.
- Observe the close relationship that exists between the tourism industry and the sports industry and identify the economic, political, and socio-cultural benefits of a sports destination.
- Get to know different business models, their focus and management strategies.
- Observe the relationship between social and cultural trends and corporate innovation processes.
- Get to know different expansion strategies.
- Acquire practical knowledge about managing a lucrative and commercial sports club such as a gym or a social sports club.
- Identify key aspects in the sports club management.
- Learn the techniques and strategies for fundraising.
- Observe a strong link between the sports industry and tourism industry.
- Identify economic, political and socio-cultural benefits of a sports destination.
- Conceptualize the term “Country Brand”.
- Get to know how government can encourage and promote sports tourism in a country, region or a city.
Sports, Society and Entrepreneurship
- Sports and Society
- Management of Sporting
Management of Sporting Enterprises
- Business Models in the Sporting Industry
- Sports Clubs Management
- Sports Tourism
|3 Week Modality||4 Week Modality|
|75 hours of instruction||90 hours of instruction|
|July 03 - July 20 2023||July 03 - July 27 2023|
SPORTS, SOCIETY AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP
SPORTS AND SOCIETY
Lifestyle: the relationship between social trends and sport:
o Sport in daily life.
o Sport as a lifestyle: subcultures and trends.
o New activities and sports hybrids.
Conceptual map for a beginner in the sports industry.
National and international sports organizations.
MANAGEMENT OF SPORTING EVENTS
- Organization of sporting events: popular and high competition.
- Olympic Games: value for a city - before and after. The case of Barcelona.
- Motor World: profitability of the national and international races. The case of Formula 1; Barcelona-Catalonia Circuit.
- The city as a sports venue: stadiums, fields, parks, main streets, ports, beaches, etc.
MANAGEMENT OF SPORTING ENTERPRISES
BUSINESS MODELS IN THE SPORTING INDUSTRY
Sports Business Models:
o Amateur sports.
o Professional sports.
o Sport + Health.
o Sport + Leisure.
SPORTS CLUB MANAGEMENT
- Management of Sports Club.
- Typology, management models.
- Social club vs. Comercial club.
- Sports Club in schools and universities.
- Profitability vs. Elitism.
- Relationship between social trends and constant innovation.
- Management of professional clubs.
- Sports as a show.
- High-performance management.
- Fundraising and sponsorship.
- Business potential.
- “The Sea and the Mountain”: sports and adventure destination.
- Country as a brand.
- Certification of sports tourism in Cataluña: municipalities, nautical and ski resorts.
- New business models.
The learning methodology applied in this course consists of several key elements that allow achieving the objectives mentioned above simultaneously. The methodology is defined as follows:
- In-class lectures that transfer basic and specific knowledge. Class participation is crucial in order for students to acquire the necessary knowledge and skills targeted in the program.
- Case Studies reflect the content so as to help the student put into practice the theoretical contents.
- Complementary activities such as visits that support the students in further understanding and implementing the contents provided by the program. In case of the four week modality program: During an optional extra week students will have to develop a Final Project working in small groups where their skills of self-management, responsibility, leadership and teamwork will be reinforced and practical knowledge gained through an in-depth, methodical study of the chosen topic. During this process students will be guided by tutors and will have to present and defend the project on the last day of the course.
The evaluation of the program will be conducted by reviewing the students’ work and participation during the program. The participants are evaluated on a daily basis during the lectures and through the practical cases to be developed and defended. Attendance to all lectures and professional activities is mandatory.
In case of 3 week modality program:
The continued evaluation stands for 60% while the final test evaluation for 40% of the general mark of the program.
In case of 4 week modality program:
The continued evaluation will stand for 40%, the final test evaluation for 20% and the mark for the Final Project for 40% of the general mark of the program.
Tuition and Fees
|3-WEEK MODALITY||4-WEEK MODALITY|
|TUITION FEE (LODGING NOT INCLUDED)||TUITION FEE (LODGING NOT INCLUDED)|
|2.207 €||2.810 €|
|TUITION FEE + LODGING WITH FULL-BOARD||TUITION FEE + LODGING WITH FULL-BOARD|
|3.341 €||4.270 €|
- 10% early bird discount for payments done before May 15th
Student Residence Hall
7 min walk from CETT and metro station
|3-week Modality||4-week Modality|
|July 03 2022 - July 22 2022||July 03 2022 - July 29 2022|
|Full board included 7 days a week||Full board included 7 days a week|